Friday, May 26, 2006

Turtles

I love turtles. They have a very special meaning to me that I hold close to my heart. About 4 years ago I met 2 wonderful girls with cancer, they came to the hospital around the same time and were diagnosed around the same time also. Naturally they became very good friends. And while we as staff are not supposed to get too close to patients, it was impossible not to. I will call them J and S. J was a prankster from the beginning, always finding a way to gross us out with her skin collection (yes I said skin collection) or squirt us with silly string. It was her nature. S was a bit more soft spoken (until you really got to know her) and she had a smile that would melt anything you had.
They started a "Turtle Club" one time when they were both in the hospital. They selected a few staff members who were "cool enough" to join. Eventually everyone was said to be in it, but only the real members have initiation papers signed by J and S (myself included of course). Every time one of them would be hospitalized we would find some sort of turtle gift to give each other, I have quite the collection at home. They were like my little sisters.
J passed away on Easter and S passed away the following August. I can't even begin to describe the impact these girls had on my life. I will never be the same. Maybe that's why they tell you not to get close to patients, because the pain is like losing a member of your own family. But I wouldn't change that for the world, I am only human. I love you J and S.

No comments: